Thursday, June 21, 2012

An Observation...

The last several weeks as I have been driving into work, I have noticed an overwhelming number of temporary tags.  Here in Texas, we get these paper tags when we buy a new or used car.  Maybe I am noticing this, because   I REALLY want a new car...Did say I really wanted a new car... I really want a new car. As I am driving to work in the mornings I notice these cars, because at this point I am not sure what I want when I am ready to put down my cash for a new one.   This process will take about a year before I make the move to actually go into a dealership and buy.  By the time I am ready, I will have settled on 3 to test drive, haggle and will decide on one, in less than a day.  But to get there can be painful.

So all these new cars on the road has me wondering... Has the economy picked up and I was left behind?  Is it the time of year? ... Right after tax refunds start arriving, or the bonuses for first quarter have been paid out.   The cars I am seeing are all 30K+ cars...... Or... I know... we haven’t spent any money in so long so now all of us are saying what the heck, the "new economy" is what it is and ... I NEED a new car and I am going to buy what I want.

I have always been into cars.  Funny, my practical side comes thru when it comes to cars.  I dream of buying a sports car, but at the end... I won’t, because I can’t bring myself to break outside my box and take the leap. I drive my cars for an average of 8-10 years...so sad.   The other option is of course a lease.  This way I can get a new car every 3 years or so.... but once again the practical tight wad in me can't do it...

So what is a girl to do?  Well, I keep dreaming, and with two girls I will end up with a larger than I would like car, that will give us the space we need. NO-- I am not buying a van, that is where I draw the line, I can't do it.  I am not coming over to the dark side.

So the next year my friends will hear me talk about cars, and more cars, and more cars.  This is my process of eliminating the makes and models that I don’t like, are way too expensive, and ahem... not practical.  But at the end, I will prevail.   I will get a car that suits me and my two girls..... Probably end of 2013...... So welcome to the year of reviewing cars with me.....Aren't you excited?

1 comment:

  1. I'm no surprised that we're going through the same process at the same time. I think I beat you in the uber practical department! I'm also a Greenie, so maybe this article will appeal to you as well (see below, Kiplinger's list of the top 10 cheapest cars to own). We recently test drove the Nissan Leaf (100% electric). Man, it was an awesome car to drive by the limited charge (only 100 miles per charge) rules it out for this roadtrippin' mama! Still, it was fun. http://www.kiplinger.com/slideshow/cheapest-cars-to-own-2012/11.html

    ReplyDelete