Saturday, December 7, 2013

Its been over a year?

Geez…………Time flies.  I have been wanting to write and post, and have lots in draft,  just can't seem to get them finished and published.  Its been quite the year…. let me summarize

- Little One celebrated her first Christmas, her 6th Birthday, got promoted to 1st grade, went to the beach for the first time ( LOVED it),  fell in love with the princess Ariel, traveled to Germany, met her Oma and Opa, started first grade in the same school as H, traveled to California, experienced Disneyland, and LOTS more firsts.  Those are the highlights that most people can relate to.

In the adoption community, some of the things that we talk about  is  being able to verbalize feelings, and knowing what to do when we meltdown. Understanding the past of our little ones, because that is who  they are, they don't come to us with a clean slate. We have made lots and lots of progress. Little One rarely kick and scream anymore. She says things "I am MAD"….. She will settle down, even when I have to discipline, and understands that I always love her, and am not giving her away when she is not acting like we should.  Little One hugs and kisses, and says the words "I Love You Mama". Asks the question if its ok to love her foster Mom in China and me. ( of course it is!!)  Ask the questions if her foster mom in china can see the same moon as we do?  Misses her big sister like crazy when she is gone for the weekend… and fight like dogs and cats with her -- just like sisters should. ( ahem)

So in summary…. yes, Little One has adjusted well, but don't be fooled. She has lots to work thru in the next couple of years. Being adopted at 5 brings its own set of challenges, not just for mommas but for the child as well.

As for me….. well the highlight has been changing jobs to one that allows me more flexibility with the kids schedules. Its an awesome job.  I can work from home, I can  work from the office, the office has a free gym, with classes, its  worldwide organization, and is family friendly in all the right ways. So I have been trying to learn my job, and since its on the Operations side, being very mindful to contribute in meaningful ways.

Of course being a Momma Bear to two girls has been a learning experience, and will continue to be…. this whole "fair thing" and making sure both get some cuddle time.  Sometimes at the end of the day, I have NOTHING left to give, but I go to sleep, pray for peace, and patience, and amazingly enough  HE does get me thru many days that I wonder if I will.

H is hitting the magic age where the hormones are starting to play havoc.  She is learning all about being a big sister.( not liking that too much, as she needs to set the example….. mmmmmnnn) H loves her sister and of course dislikes her sister all in the same breath.  Sometimes I feel like disciplining a tween and a 3 year old is the same thing.  Respect, manners, say it in a nice way… -- haven't I been saying the same thing since she was three?
We will get there…… one day at a time. I am very, very proud of H.. School is all A's, and not just A's -- I mean, high A's. -- loves school, and learning new things.  Sailing, gymnastics, ballet… still wants to hold my hand, and kisses me good night and hugs me every night. -- What else can a Momma ask for?


No comments:

Post a Comment